Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Sad reality...

Just reading the news this morning that MTV's Teen Mom start, Amber Portwood, is in the hospital for an attempted suicide.

Personally, I'm a fan of the show.  I must admit it is one of my guilty pleasures, but reading this makes me sad.  These girls, are in essence being rewarded with a reality show because they were knocked up when they were teens.  They were faced to grow up quickly not only as moms, but also being put in the spotlight for all the world to judge, mock, ridicule, praise you name it.  I don't think they've even begun to realize what kind of an impact they're having on our youth, both good and bad.  there will be some who see this as a wake up call to make sure they're being safe in their relationships, and I'm sure there will be some who see it as another way to get famous, get pregnant young and hope to be picked for the show.

So now it looks like we're dealing with the fallout of MTV's teen mom show.  Details are just beginning to emerge about Amber's attempted suicide.  According to the police report:
Two policemen arrived, found her face-up on the couch and immediately called for an ambulance. When two EMT workers arrived, they removed the rope that Amber had loosely knotted around her neck.
All I'm asking is how bad does it have to get, before MTV pulls the plug on this show?  Clearly Amber has not been able to handle being a young mother, stuck in a very tumultuous relationship with "baby daddy" and thrust into reality fame.  Do the executives at MTV think "yes, we've struck gold!" or do you think they're saying "crap, what have we done."  I'm hoping for the latter, though I'm sure they're thinking the former.

Should MTV be held responsible in part for this?  Granted, everyone is accountable for their own actions, but what about when its the actions of a teenager (then).  When you're 16 and an opportunity to become a TV star comes to you, you think "this is awesome! I'm going to be famous!"  You're not thinking "everyone is going to judge me, every mistake will be put on blast, every fight, every make up, everything!"  Amber has certainly not been st. mother theresa either.  This girl has had her drama of fighting, getting arrested, dealing with scandalous internet photos, losing custody, gaining custody and all in front of cameras.


My question is, why didn't MTV step in then? I can guarantee you if the roles were reversed, and it was a guy threatening, and punching the female, cameramen, producers, whoever would immediately step in and stop it so why not then? Like I said, perhaps MTV should be held somewhat accountable as well as the fans of this show (including myself).  I admit there are days when I feel guilty watching because if there weren't people who watched the show, there would be no "teen mom" or "16 & pregnant."  Would their lives be better off?  I just hope that Amber gets the help she clearly needs and MTV should consider footing that bill!

Do you agree?  Or maybe its just me.

~*kb*~

No comments:

Post a Comment