Thursday, July 21, 2011

WTF Pic of the week!

Normally I tend to ignore the newspaper posted on the wall on my way into work, unless I'm waiting for the elevator.  Well the other day I came across this picture below with the mini-story beneath it.

Apparently there was a protest (no idea which city) about a tax increase on sodas and other sugar like beverages i.e. juice.  First off, why is there a "protest" for this.  Really?  You care THAT much about a hike on soda and juice?  These are not essential ingredients for us to have in our daily diet!  Especially considering how bad soda is with regards to sugar* and phosphorous content which totally rots your teeth. Water I can understand, we need water.  I would totally support that kind of protest but not for soda and juice.
The tax increase would be 2 cents per ounce.  So about $1.64 on a 2 liter bottle of soda.  Guess what, if you don't want to pay it, you don't have to buy soda!  That's like being mad about taxes going up on cigarettes.  Its NON-essential!  Just don't buy it!  This tax increase is also proposed to help support the school system!  So what protesters are saying, we don't care about the cuts in the school as long as we don't have to pay more for our soda.

This brings us to the picture below.  The irony is not lost on me that they chose to show a picture of this man protesting the tax increase.  Clearly he has no problem with sugar items seeing as how he's missing most of his teeth.  If I were him, I'd be more concerned about why he's missing teeth than how much the cost of soda will be. 


Source: USA Today

~*kb*~

*Correction* A dear friend has informed me that soda (in the US) doesn't contain actual sugar but High Fructose Corn Syrup.  Still, not good for the body.

No comments:

Post a Comment